big ideas from a little garden

tales and stories of how we make the most of our garden and our terraced house.

Tuesday 28 February 2012

Phytotherapy laws...


I am currently sitting the final part of my phytotherapy diploma. Once this is complete I will be legally allowed to peddle my knowledge to my hearts content. No doubt there are the dubious among us that don't believe anything can be changed with a fist full of greenery. Well, more fool you!
Phytotherapy or Herbalism, even herbology. It's all the same horse in different pyjamas. It has been around since the first cave man realised his tummy felt better after a meal or infusion of mint. That same wise cave man may also have found his wife was more receptive if she had nibbled on some feverfew, and her headache was miraculously banished. The famed herbals are countless and invaluable. So to all you doubters I thumb my nose at you and say “ner ner na ner ner”
Herbalism has been passed from mother to daughter, from practitioner to apprentice even swapped between neighbours for a millennia. It has kept people from the brink of death. It has made simple country maids more alluring to the hunky blacksmith. It has been a household essential.
Then comes the sting. The modern world has decided it cannot be practised in a “hedge witch” manner. You need a qualification to practise. A diploma will suit! or so I thought.
So years of study, one phytotherapy diploma, one clinical phytotherapy diploma and countless other complimentary essentials. I am on the right track.
Right?
Wrong! After all this study “they”, whoever “they” are, have decided that this will no longer be enough come May.
It is not a simple matter of nipping off to the local uni and signing the next 3 years away. I have my two delicious cubs to raise. My wonderful DD to care for and be cared about. I have a gaggle of loopy chickens that need my daily attentions. And a garden I plan to thoroughly enjoy.
There is a serious lack of complimentary therapy correspondence courses out there. Granted any sort of therapeutic course needs a substantial amount of clinic hours to be able to feel competent. The courses I have undertaken take this on board.
So the options are.
  1. don't peddle herbs (well that's not likely is it dear reader?)
  2. move the entire family to Scotland or London to go to university (hardly fair on team duck!)
  3. enrol with the University of east London and commute to London for 500 clinic hours. (on reflection 500 hours over 3 years is not too bad)

Well it seems option three is the way forward. Despite my having spent the last couple of years studying I now have to start from scratch for a Phytotherapy BSc. This seems to encompass the majority of the diplomas I have already done, but places them all under one umbrella.
Still it would be nice to have BSc after my name rather than simply Sac Dip.(it sounds so wrong)
Perhaps over the year to come I can do a doctorate in botany or some such thing. Just imagine Dr Nelly!

It's a good job I love the subject. All together now, deep breath. Ahhhhhhh, herbs!
*wanders off to channel the spirit of Culpeper*

No comments:

Post a Comment